Sunday, January 14, 2018

Winter's Contrasts

Winter's contrasts . . . 


blooming on my kitchen window sill . . . 


the view from my living room window . . . 



accumulation in a bedroom window -the window is closed, but this is what came in through the screen over night . . .


the view from an upstairs bedroom window . . .

The last 24-48 hours has shown a complete turn around. We went from 62 on Thursday to 10 Saturday morning. The windchill was around -10 !!
We were forecast 3-6 inches of snow and got about 4 or 5, so we were blessed that it wasn't worse.
School was cancelled due to the anticipation of freezing rain and hazardous driving conditions.
I was glad to have an excuse to just stay put and get some sewing done.


I finished another block for the Holly Cottage Christmas quilt. I'm very happy with my progress, even though it's been a while since I've actually had an opportunity to work on it.

Mom found out this week that she is going to have to have hip replacement surgery. Not looking forward to any of that. She's going to need extra help and I would really like her to come and stay with us afterwards for a week or two to make sure she's okay. It's going to require several of us to step up and help out, but mostly me.

So my goals for the weekend:

1. Dresden Plates
- finish sewing plates
- cut out muslin background
- get at least one mounted so I can start stitching 

2. Starry Bright Sky QAL 2018
- pull fabrics for first block
- cut out first block

3. Beary Color Challenge
- pull colors for first block
- drawn off applique pieces, cut out
- assemble block

4. Color Challenge
- pull colors for first block
- cut out fabrics
- assemble block

5. Holly Cottage Christmas
- continue stitching next block

6. A Year in the Garden
- draw off January design
- pull floss colors


All of these goals are preparations for the next week. This way, I can sit with Rocky because he just wants to snuggle through this ridiculously cold winter. And I will have projects ready to travel to and from the hospital to spend time with Mom.

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you days filled with kindness.


Verse of the Day

A person may think their own ways are right, but the LORD weighs the heart.
Prov. 21:2 NIVUK

2 comments:

Susan said...

Wow. That's a lot of prep work, and it all takes time. Choosing the fabrics for something, even one block from a limited number designated for a project, takes me more time than any part of the sewing. I love your red bird! That is a perfect background fabric for the blocks. Yours is going to be so pretty!

I'm sorry your mom has to do that, but she will be glad she did, once she's feeling better and moving around again. I hope it waits until after all the snow and cold is done! The thought of her moving around during icy conditions is not a happy one. I hope you stay warm as we go through this next little fun cold spell. =P

Allie-oops Designs said...

I wish winter would just give up and let it be summer already! I'll be praying for your mom. Having things to take with you is a really really good idea. As is having her stay with you. I love your Holly Cottage block!