Friday, September 6, 2013

'WOW' Friday

 My day started as it usually does - make lunches, get Honey Do and Newton off to work and school; then in no particular order:  make the bed, feed the birds, potty the dogs, sort and start the laundry, straighten up the bathroom and get dressed.  


Today, I found myself at a new Study Group at church.  "WOW" which stands for Women of Wonder meets once a month.  We each got an "assigned" table.  This little arrangement was the centerpiece on my table.  Do you see the color theme:  turquoise :)  Each table had a different color and that's how we'll know where to sit next time we meet.  Refreshments were provided and we'll be asked to sign up for future provisions.  There were tea breads and muffins, fresh fruit and dip and two different egg dishes; coffee, cucumber water and citrus punch.  The beach theme was carried throughout the church's parlor with small lanterns and more shells.

We had a keynote speaker who challenged us to spend time in God's Word - even if it was just a couple of verses every day.  If we use a devotion, make sure it takes you back to God's Word.

There was plenty of time for fellowship and getting to know someone new and the hope is to develop friendships, not just more acquaintances.  And there was a craft.  The first one was to make a "name tag" necklace that would be at our seats at the next meeting.  

I enjoyed reconnecting with women I'd done other studies with and had a very nice time getting to know a new person.  We all got to share and I'm very excited for next month.  We have two chapters to read in our study guide:  A Woman's Passionate Pursuit of God by Karol Ladd.


Once we finished cleaning up the parlor I headed to the library.  It was time for new patterns ! ! ! !


The new E-Home (if you are interest in a subscription or the individual patterns, Jenny can get you signed up here) came out this morning (for me) and I knew that the next and final Beauty block was in this issue.


Isn't she adorable?  I'm drawing her off tonight and start stitching.  Then I can finish the assembly this month.  I can't wait.  This has been such a fun project.


This is the second pattern I chose for this month.  It's called Sunshine.  If you are interested in this one, I found it here.  It was designed by 2strings.  I'm thinking this one is for BFF's birthday in October.


And this gorgeous piece of femininity ! ! ! !  You can find this one here.  This is another Jenny of Elefantz.  How could I possibly not get this one.  I love things feminine and Victorian.  This is just so pretty.  I'm thinking this one will be for Mom for her birthday in November.  




Before I left this morning, I had one more thing to do:  plan a menu and grocery list.  Check out all those Post-It tabs - yes, I use tons of them.  They are one of my favorite go-to tools when it comes to menu planning.  Sometimes, I go so far as to write the days of the week on them when I tab my pages.  I don't always use magazines, sometimes it's pages printed from Pinterest, sometimes I use a cookbook, recipe cards - whatever my choices for the week are.

Once I decide what we are having, I make my list.  I pretty much remember what's already in the pantry, so I try to only get what we need.  Usually that ends up being fruit, vegetables, meat, cereal and dairy products.  I've learned over the years to shop the perimeter of the store.  Everything in the middle is highly processed, contains too many preservatives and chemicals and generally isn't good for you.


All this loveliness cost about $88 - that's really good ! ! ! !  This will feed three of us all week.  I'm trying to plan my menus around eating better - "cleaner".  Trying to stay away from too much processed junk.  Yes, there's still some.  But I'm a stay at home mom and for the most part, we don't eat out much or many already prepared, processed meals.  I picked up a couple (frozen burritos and a gyro kit) for brain-dead meals.  Those days when I just don't feel like cooking or am running in too many directions that day to think clearly about what to fix.  As long as I have a plan, dinner is a pleasant experience.

I have a magnetic board attached to my cabinet.  It is a dry erase surface, but I use the magnets and post my recipes in front of me so I had easy access.  And becuase the are on the board, I don't have to look for it and I especially don't have to touch it with my dirty hands.

But I have to say, if I plan a menu and have all the supplies readily available then fixing meals is not a problem or a chore.  I like spending time in my kitchen and I feel really good about preparing meals for my family when I can give it the time and attention they deserve.  When I don't know what to make or am really rushed I'm not happy with the meals - why should they be.  I've also been pleased with two guys that will eat just about anything I fix !!!

Tonight's dinner:

Bacon, Leek and Spaghetti Frittata

4 slices of bacon
2 large leeks, white parts only, halved then thinly sliced (if you don't have, use onions)
1 1/2 c. cooked spaghetti
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. milk
2 T. grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven - 400 degrees (F)
In an oven proof skillet, cook the bacon crisp, about 5 minutes.
Remove to paper towel, drain.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat, add the leeks, cook about 5 minutes, just to soften.
Return the bacon and add spaghetti, toss.

Season the eggs with salt and pepper.  Whisk in the milk.  
Pour into skillet, cook, lifting the sides with a spatula to allow the eggs to run underneath and edges lightly brown - about 5 minutes.

Sprinkle Parmesan on top, transfer to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the center is firm and lightly browned.  About 7 minutes.

Remove from pan with spatula to cutting board.  Cut into wedge and serve immediately.


Would be great with a salad.  We had ours with sliced tomatoes because I added about 3 handfuls of rough chopped fresh spinach to the mixture.  No, I can't leave well enough alone.  I'm always playing with our food.  I think it would be really good with a Hollandaise sauce too.  OR substitute the bacon for breakfast sausage and maybe serve with sausage gravy - but that's definitely not the calorie watcher's best suggestion :)

Other items on the menu this week:

Penne with spinach and sausage
Sour cream coffee cake
Cranberry-walnut stuffed pork loin
Indian chickpea and vegetable stew
Pennsylvania Dutch meat pies

Of course, they are all subject to change.  That's what those no-brainers are for.

And since the menu is planned, I also planned my weekend TO-DO's

1.  finish the baby quilt

2.  finish the scarecrow wall hanging

3.  start Beauty ladybug

4.  plan next week's menu

5.  start my new Bible studies 

6.  catch up the laundry

7.  8.  9.  10. . . . . . .
Spend time with my guys.



Thanks for stopping by. . . . .



Wishing you a creative weekend.










No comments: