Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fabulous Friday

Today was fabulous.  I started earlyticking things off my to-do list.  My weekend menu and shopping list are planned.  My day is planned - and planned to be productive.

Days are noticeably cooler for us.  Mornings are cool and damp, lots of dew.  Inevitably, I take the dogs out and forget to grab a bowl and the kitchen scissors.  I had a good harvest of fresh broccoli again this morning.  No bowl . . .


No problem . . .

Yes, that's my shirt :)  A vegetable pizza is planned for the weekend, this harvest will be perfect.  I picked the banana peppers earlier in the week.


I saw this pattern on Pinterest the other day - maybe I need to make one of these for harvesting in my garden.  Then I just have to remember to put it on :)


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


I spent my afternoon preparing for this evening's dinner .  The menu:

steamed top neck clams (this is for Honey Do - I don't touch them)
parsley buttered potatoes
corn on the cob
kielbasi 

I'm attempting to minimize clean up after dinner and get as much done before hand as I can.  I don't have a bit kitchen, so it minimizes how much space I won't have to work with.  Also, Newton has a program after school so I don't have the additional help.  It's really hard to ask either of them to help too much when they've been gone and working hard all day themselves.  It's also difficult for me to not want to sit and enjoy the evening when everyone else is sitting.

I purchased all of my weekend supplies.  Look at these gorgeous end of the season peaches !!!  I can't decide if I just want to eat them or make a pie !  They were only 99 cents per pound.  I'm thinking about going back and getting more and putting them in the freezer for the winter.


A stop at the library is affording me my entertainment for the weekend too.  Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks and Island of Flowers by Nora Roberts.  Two of my absolute favorite authors.


And let's not forget about the DVDs.  Somewhere I read about Foyle's War.  As I was checking out, another patron told me that it was a very good series, so I'm going to try and watch that while I'm working on my stitchery.


While I was out in the garden harvesting fresh parsley for dinner I noticed that some of the plants had gone to seed.  I collected the seeds to plant next spring.  There is a very good chance that seeds have already dropped but I don't want to chance a hard winter and be caught without.  Better to have too many plants than not enough.




* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


I have a unique finish to tell you about.  Several years ago Honey Do stayed home with kids.  Prior to foster care and adoption we both worked until he got hurt badly at one of his jobs.  He recovered and ended up working at several places before we made our decision about children.  Anyway, in an effort to keep him busy and creative, he thought he might enjoy playing with wood burning.  This was the precursor to pen making, which he is just a natural at and is paying the bills now.

This is the only project he made and this week I ran across it traveling though my sewing room.  I finally pulled out the colored pencils and colored it.  I thought about paint and decided I just wanted to keep it simple.  What do you think?  We make a pretty good team.  :)



Thanks for stopping by



Wishing you a creative weekend.






No comments: